Friday, October 19, 2012

Another day in the life of...


Things continue to be busy as usual.  My diet is going well, only down about 1/2 a pound this week though.  I am not concerned, my clothes continue to fit looser and my muscles seem stronger, so all is good!  The half marathon for me and my sister is next weekend already!!!  I am super excited, our costumes look fabulous and I do believe it should be my fastest one ever.  With lifting weights, taking fitness classes and running, my legs are really strong and my body doesn't feel fatigued after doing long runs. 

I've read some interesting information this week and thought I would share some bits of it.

Reason to Eat Veggies:

Ask my mom—I didn’t eat veggies until I was a grown woman. I still have to force myself to eat a few of them, like broccoli. But nothing is more important to your overall health than the vitamins and nutrients found in vegetables. They help your body function in endless ways, and can even reduce your risk of cancer by activating cancer-fighting enzymes [5] [6]. With the right cooking method, herbs and spices, or even in a smoothie, you can make veggies taste really delicious. To transition into eating more vegetables, try replacing an unhealthy side dish that you normally eat with veggies at one meal per day, and slowly increase until you’re getting 4-5 servings per day.

Become Accountable:

A mental shift needs to happen when you start to take control of your health, and part of that is becoming accountable to yourself. This can be through keeping a food journal, wearing a calorie-tracking armband, using a calorie counting and exercise application on your phone or computer, or even wearing a pedometer to count your steps. Keeping track of what you eat and how much you move will be a very eye-opening experience. Studies show that most adults overestimate the amount of healthy food they are eating and underestimate the rest of it…not because they are trying to be dishonest necessarily, they just don’t have an accurate idea of what they are eating unless they actually record it and measure it out [7].

Do Research:

You might try watching documentaries about food and nutrition (I recommend Food, Inc. and Forks Over Knives). You can also read books, ask a fitness expert or trainer, or just start here at Coach Calorie by downloading the free e-book and read just about everything you need to know.

These are all from Coach Calorie which is a great diet resource on Facebook

The research part has been a huge help for me.  The more I learn, the more I get motivated to make changes in my life.  I've watched both of those documentaries more than once and would recommend them to anyone.  Great info!

~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment